The Richard and Mary Finkelstein Student Travel Grant
Deadline: Tuesday January 14, 2014
Purpose: To provide support for students attending asm2014
Award: Each Richard and Mary Finkelstein Student Travel Grant Award is $500 for use in attending asm2014 to present a poster in addition to being invited to give a short presentation of the abstract during the Division B and D Business Meeting.
Eligibility: To qualify for consideration the student must:
- Meet all the requirements for a Student Travel Grant (including a letter of recommendation), and
- Be presenting research in the area of microbial pathogenesis
- The scientific quality of the submitted abstract
- The student has not received an similar travel grant award in the last two years
- Only one travel grant per laboratory
- The student must be a member of ASM; and
- A letter of recommendation must be on file.
The applicant must submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member or department head on official letterhead including the following information:
- The letter must state that the student is expected to be active in the training or degree program at the time of the meeting, or, if the student has completed their terminal degree, the actual date of completion.
- The abstract control number.
- Upload the letter of recommendation during the abstract submission process; the deadline is Tuesday, January 14, 2014, 11:59 pm EST. When naming the document please write last name of student, first initial, STG Travel or RMF Travel, then the abstract control number.
Only students who meet the criteria for the Student Travel Grant will be considered for this award. The General Meeting Program Committee will review the abstracts of the Student Travel Grant recipients to select those best meeting the requirements of the Richard and Mary Finkelstein Student Travel Grant. A maximum of six grants will be awarded to students annually.
Student Travel Grant Awards FAQs
How do I indicate that I wish to be considered for an ASM or the Richard and Mary Finkelstein Student Travel Grant?
In the abstract submission site under Membership/Travel Grant Information, click “I wish to be considered for a grant…” when asked. You also must be an ASM Member, the submitter and the presenting author of the abstract.
When and how should I send my faculty letter indicating that I qualify for an ASM or the Richard and Mary Finkelstein Student Travel Grant?
Upload the letter of recommendation during the abstract submission process; the deadline is Tuesday, January 14, 2014. When naming the document please write last name of student, first initial, RMF Travel or STG Travel, then the abstract control number.
Example: Trower, L., RMF Travel, 12-A-14-GM-ASM
Example: Trower, L., STG Travel, 12-A-14-GM-ASM
When will I be notified whether or not I received a Student or Richard and Mary Finkelstein Travel Grant?
Student and Richard and Mary Finkelstein Travel Grant notifications will be emailed the week of February 17, 2014.
What percentage of Student Travel Grant requests is awarded?
Of the grant requests received, approximately 25-30% will receive awards each year.