Student Travel Grants
Purpose – To provide support for students attending asm2013
Award – Each ASM Student Travel Grant Award is $500 for use in attending asm2013.
Eligibility – to qualify for consideration the student must:
- Be an ASM Member and the presenting author;
- Be an undergraduate student or
- Be a predoctoral student or
- Be a PhD or MD (whose degree has been awarded after June 2012 but before May 2013)
- Have indicated a desire to be considered for the grant on the Abstract Submission;
- Be accepted to present a poster at asm2013 and be the presenting author of the abstract.
- The scientific quality of the submitted abstract
- The student has not received an similar travel grant award in the last two years
- Only one travel grant per laboratory
- The student must be a member of ASM, and
- A current letter of recommendation for the asm2013 must be on file.
Letter of Recommendation
The applicant must submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member or department head on official letterhead including the following information:
- The letter must state that the student is expected to be active in the training or degree program at the time of the meeting, or, if the student has completed their terminal degree, the actual date of completion.
- The abstract control number.
- Upload the letter of recommendation during the abstract submission process; the EXTENDED deadline is Thursday, January 17, 2013, 11:59 pm EST.
Selection Process – Selection is made by the General Meeting Program Committee. The awards are highly competitive and only about 25-30% of those seeking grants will receive them. If a grant recipient cannot present the accepted abstract, the recipient MUST notify ASM as soon as possible. The grant will be rescinded and awarded to an alternate.